Ruminating About Roosters
The daylight is becoming shorter and the daydreams are getting longer. My random trips to the sporting goods store – “just to take a look around” – are becoming more habitual than checking my email. If I clean my shotgun one more time the barrel might become see-through. Yes, the autumnal equinox may not be until September 23rd, but for this guy and his bird dog, fall has mentally arrived.
So what better way to kill some time (because that’s all we’re doing until pheasant season starts anyway, right?) than by ruminating about what I am most looking forward to this upcoming pheasant season:
- Growing an epic beard (Marty Stouffer, anyone?)
- Getting lost on a lonely, old back road and stumbling into some great looking habitat
- Trying out Minnesota’s new Walk-In Access Program (although with the bird numbers down this year, “walkin’ program” may be the more operative phrase)
- Playing the “What’s that stain?” game while staying at a crummy hotel in the middle of nowhere
- Spending time with great friends, the type whom you swear don’t escape their home/cave/relationship unless the leaves have turned color and a shotgun is nearby
- Eating junk food while on the road, justified because “I’ll just walk it off while hunting” (Yeah, right…)
- And last but certainly not least, hitting the fields for a second season with my 19-month-old pup, Beau
Looking at my list, I know that no matter how good or bad a “projected” hunting season is, I’ll be out there just the same. Oddly enough, it appears the things I enjoy most about chasing roosters have more to do with the “being” than the birds (although a heavy game bag never hurt anyone!).
What are you most looking forward to this upcoming pheasant hunting season?
The Over/Under blog is written by Andrew Vavra, Pheasants Forever’s Marketing Specialist.
6 Responses to “Ruminating About Roosters”| |
Leave a Reply