Posts Tagged ‘Andrew Vavra’
Friday, April 1st, 2011
The American Kennel Club counts 28 different breeds in the sporting dog category. I was curious how many different breeds I could connect with people I know. So here goes it; the 28 sporting breeds according to AKC and the first person that pops into my head as owning that particular breed.
1. American Water Spaniel: Not a single person comes to mind. Starting slow out of the gates.
2. Boykin Spaniel: Joe Duggan, Pheasants Forever’s VP of Corporate Relations.
4. Chesapeake Bay Retriever: Chad Love, Quail Forever blogger.
5. Clumber Spaniel: Shale Nyberg, volunteer with Minnesota Valley PF Chapter
6. Cocker Spaniel: A swing and a miss.
7. Curly Coated Retriever: I don’t believe I know any curly owners.
8. English Cocker Spaniel: It’s not my place to break the news, but stay tuned for an announcement from a fellow PF blogger related to this breed in the coming months.
9. English Setter: John Edstrom, Pheasants Forever’s merchandise buyer.
10. English Springer Spaniel: Mark Herwig, Pheasants Forever’s Journal editor.
11. Field Spaniel: Drawing a blank.
12. Flat Coated Retriever: Diane Lueck, Pheasants Forever National Board Member.
13. German Shorthaired Pointer: This one is easy . . . ME!
14. German Wirehaired Pointer: Mark Reinert, McLeod County (MN) Chapter of Pheasants Forever.
15. Golden Retriever: My buddy & radio partner, “The Captain” Billy Hildebrand.
16. Gordon Setter: Another fellow radio buddy, Mike “Cold Front” Kurre is in between Gordon Setters at the moment.
17. Irish Red & White Setters: A blank.
18. Irish Setter: Rick Van Etten, editor of Gun Dog magazine.
19. Irish Water Spaniel: Nada.
21. Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever: I can’t say as I know anyone that owns one of these beauties. If I was a duck hunter, these babies would be at the top of my list.
22. Pointer: Rich Wissink, Pheasants Forever’s Youth Programs Coordinator.
23. Spinone Italiano: I used to live down the street from one, but that’s as close as it’s gotten.
24. Sussex Spaniel: To be honest, I’d never heard of this breed till reading it on the website moments ago. Anyone ever hunted behind a Sussex?
25. Vizsla: David Bue, Pheasants Forever’s VP of Development has a pair.
26. Weimaraner: Janine Kohn, Pheasants Forever’s Education Specialist.
27. Welsh Springer Spaniel: Another goose egg.
28. Wirehaired Pointing Griffon: Although I don’t currently have any direct connections to a “Griff,” Andrew & I are in a race to be the first to own one in the PF/QF offices.
So there you have it. Of the 28 sporting breeds recognized by AKC, I have direct links to 16, which leaves 12 voids. I was actually surprised not to find Munsterlanders (small or large) on AKC’s sporting list. Anyone know the story of AKC and Munsterlanders?
So, how many of the 28 breeds on this list can you connect to an owner?
The Pointer is written by Bob St.Pierre, Pheasants Forever’s Vice President of Marketing.
Friday, May 21st, 2010
New to Anthony’s Antics Afield, every Friday I’m going to post the stuff I’ve recently checked out and found worthwhile on the World Wide Web. Well, some of it’s worthwhile, anyways.
- My Georgia Peach. I’ll just put it out there: Georgia Pellegrini, I’d be happy to dine with you any time. Georgia has put herself in the running to become The Official Pheasant Chick of Anthony’s Antics Afield. If you have other suggestions, I encourage you to post them below.
- Semi semi-auto. The new Benelli 28 gauge Legacy is billed as the lightest semi-auto available. I handled the model that came in for the annual Pheasants Forever Shotgun Review, and if this thing was any lighter, it’d have to get checked for an eating disorder.
- Sioux Falls Pheasants. Baseball fans who love pheasant hunting now have the perfect team to cheer for, the Sioux Falls Pheasants. Not surprisingly, these roosters are in first place.
- Win a Gun. If, like me, you own a Remington firearm, and made a memory with it, you could win 13 Remington firearms, a case of ammunition for each gun, and a Remington safe.
- HyperSonic. While we’re talking about Remington, they’re the latest to the high velocity waterfowl shotshell party.
- Hunting Regs. A comprehensive site with up-to-date hunting and fishing regulations? Yeah, and that hot tub time machine was real.
- Four! Idiots. The city of Forest Lake is just 10 minutes north of the Pheasants Forever national office, and home to at least four low denominators. Thankfully, we hold PF’s national golf tournament on the nearby lake-less Stillwater golf course.
- The Brees Knees. No matter where it is, Super Bowl champion quarterback Drew Brees is always on target. Fellow Pheasant Blogger Andrew Vavra’s NFL lookalike also makes this gallery. Seriously, tell me they don’t look alike?
- Great Cover. Let’s end the work week on a high note.
Enjoy your weekend outdoors!