Posts Tagged ‘Gov. Dennis Daugaard’
Wednesday, March 5th, 2014
The thirteen members of the South Dakota Pheasant Habitat Work Group gathered for their initial meeting last Friday in Pierre.
The work group is comprised of members selected by Gov. Dennis Daugaard after December’s Pheasant Habitat Summit and consists of sportsmen, landowners, leading conservation and agriculture academics, legislators and government officials.
The groups charge is to identify ways to improve pheasant habitat that are compatible with agricultural production in the state.
“I am very happy with the progress we made during this first meeting,” said Work Group Chairwoman Pam Roberts. “The amount of input we received from the public before, during and after the Habitat Summit shows how important this issue is to South Dakotan’s and our visitors.”
Work group members reviewed the hundreds of comments, ideas and suggestions to improve pheasant habitat and pheasant populations.
“People are passionate about pheasants in South Dakota,” said Roberts. “Everyone wants their ideas and voice to be heard. It is our job to try and find feasible and effective solutions and this list is a good start.”
The group will meet again in early April and will deliver a report of their work to Gov. Daugaard this summer.
- PF Applauds Gov. Daugaard for Successful Pheasant Habitat Summit
- South Dakota Pheasant Habitat Work Group Members Selected
Thursday, November 21st, 2013
I look forward to participating in the Governor’s Pheasant Habitat Summit in Huron, South Dakota on Friday, Dec. 6. Gov. Dennis Daugaard is hosting the summit to provide a forum for landowners, sportsmen, members of the tourism industry and other interested individuals to learn about the current state of pheasant habitat in South Dakota. The summit will include panel discussions and public input as a means to explore ways to maintain and enhance pheasant habitat. The event will take place at the Crossroads Convention Center in Huron.
The Governor’s Pheasant Summit is open to the public and pre-registration is required. Individuals may register online here. Information and registration is also available by calling the Game, Fish and Parks Department at 605.773.3387.
- 9:00am: Welcome / Emcee – Jeff Vonk, Secretary, South Dakota Dept. of Game, Fish and Parks
- 9:20am: History of Pheasants in South Dakota – Tony Leif, Wildlife Division Director, SD GFP
- 9:50am: South Dakota Land Use Change – Dr. Barry Dunn, Dean, SDSU College of Ag & Bio
- 10:20am: Modern Agricultural Production – Bruce Knight, Strategic Conservation Solutions, LLC
- 10:50am: Conservation Policies – Dave Nomsen, VP of Governmental Affairs, Pheasants Forever
- 11:20am: Pheasant Hunting & Tourism – Jim Hagen, Secretary, SD Dept. of Tourism
- 11:50am: Audience Questions / Panel Discussion
- 12:30pm: Break for lunch
- 1:00pm: Working lunch/small group discussions
- 2:15pm: Small groups adjourn
- 2:45pm: Findings of small group discussions
- 3:30pm: Wrap-up and Next Steps
- 4:00pm: Adjourn
The D.C. Minute is written by Dave Nomsen, Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever’s Vice President of Governmental Relations.